Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 23 December 2017

Candy from a baby - catching winter eels!

Been down to the tidal Stour for another session (06.45 - 10.00 hrs) after pike, but this time I had alternative ploy. I put one rod out for pike and the other for eels, just to dispel any niggling doubts that the smashed sardines might be due to chub. Couldn't catch a pike - eels a piece of cake! 23rd December after the coldest snap of the year and the slimy bastards were ravenous. I landed two (1 lb 14 oz & 1 lb 5 oz) and missed several other chances. Both fish fell to small sardine sections, although it didn't prevent a 6 oz mackerel tail from being regularly savaged by these bloody pests.


How I wish it had been snowing! 1 lb 14 oz (top) and 1 lb 5 oz (below - no kidding?)
Fantastic morning for birds, especially birds of prey, yet the cormorant spectacle was mind blowing. I estimated 3,000+  moving east between 07.50 and 08.15, with further stragglers, including a flock of 70+, headed in the same direction right up till 08.50 hrs. The main flight path was well to the south of where I was fishing and I have doubts as to whether they passed over Worth Marshes on their way out to sea? So did they get into Sandwich Bay air space? Peregrine, Merlin, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Marsh Harrier and Common Buzzard all put in an appearance today alongside the regular species that are associated with this river.
As I walked off the river I passed a gentleman who inquired "Did you catch the fisherman's lunch?" My, rather off the cuff, reply went "No, I couldn't catch a cold, but I can still catch eels!" Poor guy probably walked away thinking he'd had close encounter with some care in the community case.

7 comments:

  1. Oh the joys of tidal river piking ay Dyl?

    Reminds me of a session several years back, when the river was "alive" with the feckers! (post a prolonged period of heavy run-off)... 20 years of piking the tidal reaches of the river Stour, I'd never seen it so "bad"!.... Even suspended and trotted baits were grabbed by ravenous snigs!.. I was going through baits all too quickly as the light faded and the "witching hour" commenced. No sooner had I cast, the pesky eels where on the baits pronto!... Twas the last day of the season, my last bait, and the final cast... The float gave a couple of bobs no sooner had it settled... BOLLOCKS!... not wishing to have my final chuck in the "Last Cast Saloon" scuppered by a snig, I attempted to twitch the bait away from the unwanted attention at t'other end. DOUBLE BOLLOCKS!!... everything was solid and I cursed my luck that an eel had snagged my tackle!.. Then the "snag" started to move... with purpose!!.. Shortly after, 27lb of pristine river Pike lay in the landing net!... KAPOW!!... just goes to show, it aint over till it's over ay?

    All the best to you and yours mate, it's always a privilege to read the exploits of a pioneering angler such as your good self!

    Tight Lines and Merry Xmas

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for this Andy, a twenty-seven would see me well chuffed, although I'm still very much learning the ropes at present. The recent nonsense surrounding the "critically endangered" status placed upon eels is proving to be a farce. The Stour catchment and The Royal Military Canal is alive with these bloody fish and I've yet to discover a bait which can distinguish between pike and eels. I have always been an advocate of big baits = big fish. Eels completely ruined that theory by being willing to tackle the largest baits I am prepared to use (8 - 10 oz whole rainbow trout/Herring or Mackerel)
      Best wishes to you and the PAC crew - enjoy the holiday, stay safe and wishing you tight lines - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Nick,
      The sooner the NAC recognize that these fish are catchable over the entire calendar year, the sooner the understanding of eel feeding behavior, thus eel angling, can move on from the John Sidley era. It seems that eel angling is stuck in some time warp that carp anglers had dispelled by the mid 1950's. I can'y wait for some snow just to get that photo which says "I told you so!"

      Have a great Christmas - Dylan

      Delete
  3. A few fish for them through the winter .it's not a case of being stuck in a time warp. But like 75% of the nac I have no interest in catch smaller eels what ever time of year it is . It's just nice to see they do feed 12 months of the year .on the severn were I zander fish in the summer the eels can be a pain ...but once we have had a few frosts and the water temp dips below 8c they diserpear. I hope you get your snow eel .

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick - small eels are a pain in the arse! The biggest eel I've ever hooked did over me like a kipper in December 2015. I've had a seven and that lost fish would have smashed it out of sight! The NAC need to wake up to the fact these fish are catchable throughout the year, they don't grow big by not eating for half the year!

      Delete
    2. Hi Dylan. I friend and nac member has just spent 2 nights on the R M CANAL .. no eels missed 4 runs but also had 2 pain in the arse pike 😁. An 8lber and a 21. 5 don't you just hate nuisance fish

      Nick

      Delete