Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 16 October 2016

The show goes on

There's a definite chill in the air, of late, as I take my pre-dawn wander across to work. The darkness is often enlivened by the piercing calls of Redwings, as they pass, unseen, high overhead or the sad lament of a Robin emanating from a garden hedge or factory compound. This annual occurence is the precursor to a period of birdless tedium around Newlands, so I have to make the best of it whilst it lasts. Yesterday was a beautiful morning with Fieldfares dominating the scene. There were several hundred out on the maize stubble, others were moving overhead in noisy flocks, whilst a few were happy to pose in the tops of the trees to the north and south of our garden.


What a difference this morning - horrible dark and damp, with a strong WSW wind. Not a Fieldfare to be seen! I made Bev her cuppa before heading out to do the circuit. Still very good numbers of Song Thrush and Redwing around the site; the fallow field still held small numbers of Linnets, Goldfinches and a handful of Brambling. Meadow Pipit numbers have risen significantly, probably 50+ around the stubble fields today along with 20, or so, Skylarks. The Scaffolder's Yard produced three Stonechat and a couple of Chiffchaff (of which there were many more around the main farm compound) A couple of Golden Plover flushed from the big field and the star of the morning was a Merlin which came flashing through, scattering finches and thrushes as it passed.



I feel a session with the rods is now much needed, chub, barbel, pike or eels? Decisions, decisions -  it's a tough life

No comments:

Post a Comment