Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 12 October 2016

Newlands is buzzing

It looked ideal conditions, early doors, for there to have been a few birds decked around the farm. My early morning coffee session, out in the garden, confirmed a substantial number of Song Thrushes were present and small groups of Redwing and Fieldfare were moving overhead. A lone Common Snipe flew through, adding to the spectacle and a party of Long-tailed Tits came flitting along the hedgerow. Time to grab the camera and head off to see what else I could locate.
Fortunately the sun started to break through the heavy clouds and I was able to add two Chiffchaff and a Reed Bunting quite shortly after leaving home. However, I wasn't prepared for the fantastic numbers of birds that were feeding out in a small area of fallow ground, just beyond the maize stubble. It was difficult to get anything like accurate counts but my best guess would be around 40 Brambling, 220 Goldfinch, 370 Linnet and 70 Chaffinch plus more Reed Bunting, Meadow Pipit, Redwing, Song Thrush and Blackbird. It was a joy to be outside in their company. As is normal, my camera work was very lacking; but hope that it gives a feel for the morning's excitement.



4 comments:

  1. 40 Bramblings! - I'm lucky if I see one every 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd happily swap a few Bramblings for a flyover Common Crane, that's the beauty of patch watching I suppose? AS for a Pallid Harrier - dream on; never gonna happen around Newlands!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I enjoyed it! If I can't get out with the rods, then the binos and camera provide adequate back-up during the Autumn migration period

      Delete