Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 25 July 2016

Mothing by porch-light

Least Carpet
It's quite amazing what can be discovered when the situation looks, at first, hopeless. With Dad's deteriorating health dominating our lives, Bev and I are taking it one day at a time. With nothing better, to hand, I have taken to leaving the outside lights on and regularly checking on what moths have been attracted - potting the odd micro for further investigation should it require such measures.
Nothing particularly unusual, thus far, but enough to keep me interested.

Riband Wave

Eudonia lacustrata

Swallowtail Moth

Celypha striana

Single-dotted Wave
There aren't huge numbers of species, or individuals, involved, but it does provide a nice distraction from the reality of our current situation and that's got to be a positive?

Dingy Footman

Eudonia mercurella

4 comments:

  1. Still reading your posts Dyl.
    Thinking of your current situation.
    Good luck and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich - very humbled by your comment, many thanks and all the best. Hopefully things will sort themselves out soon and normal service will be resumed - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Moths - the one element of wildlife that I cannot get into, far too many of the little buggers for my liking and too much poring through thousands of illustrations to try and get a likeness. I therefore admire anybody that does bother. Sad about your father, mine died aged 50 when I was just 22, hopefully it'll soon get better mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for this mate - I have no great love of moth identification myself, although they have been part of my life since 1994 and that fateful day at Sandwich Bay Obs. I have really enjoyed my dalliance with the group, fortunate to be assisted by some formidable entomologists - thus I have an enviable list despite a genuine lack of ability.
      Hopefully the situation with my father will reach its' logical conclusion very soon and he will be at peace. In the mean time Bev and I are extremely grateful for the support we have received from friends, virtual and real, during this difficult period. All the best - Dyl

      Delete