Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 17 October 2015

The icing on the cake

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better - it did! My morning wander around the farm was a trip into birding "wonderland" - masses of birds; the vast majority decked. My counts are rough guestimates, except where otherwise stated. It started just after first light, as I was making the early morning cuppa! Chaffinches (or so I assumed) were dropping into the garden hedge and a few Redwing were passing overhead, pushed on by a stiff N/NE breeze. But, in all honesty, there was very little sign of purposeful migration. I heard a Reed Bunting, quickly followed by Fieldfare, something was going on?  I drank my coffee and told Bev that I was going to have a quick stroll around the farm. Some two hours later I made it back indoors - totally blown away. With so much going on, I rapidly lost interest in counting birds - I simply enjoyed their company. So, once again, here goes!
On a grey day - what do you expect? A Goldcrest by The White House
Redwing - 500+ (mostly decked, but a few moving overhead, in all directions, possibly dispersing from overnight roosts?)
Song Thrush - 170 - mostly flushed from the cauliflowers
Fieldfare - 110 - a flock of 90 moving purposely NW being the obvious highlight.
Blackbirds - numerous/conspicuous but nothing to suggest any further immigration
Robin - aggi little bleeders, but no increase since Monday
Goldcrest - a dozen, or so, in the Sycamores by The White House plus an unknown number around the main farm compound (I have no access to this area)
Chiffchaff - one
Sky Lark - two
Reed Bunting - at least 45 in the caulis
Pied/alba Wagtail - 42 feeding on St. Luke's playing field and several other around the farm
Goldfinch - two flocks, noisily north - possibly 40 birds - plus many others around the hedgerows.
Greenfinch - three?
Chaffinch - 350+ around the paddocks
Brambling - 200+ associating with the chaffinches - spectacular
Grey Heron - one decked out on the maize stubble
Peregrine - an adult hunting over the fields
Swallow - one north over the caulis

Crap photo - Reed Bunting and Dunnock out in the caulis
It was a fantastic experience, being able to witness such an event - this has been, without doubt, the best week ever around Newland's since I moved here in November 2000.

4 comments: