Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 16 October 2015

No point in attempting to count

Another morning of high drama around, and above, Newland's Farm. Thrushes (Redwings if I am honest) have been piling in/over all morning. I'd seen a Ring Ouzel, in the shrike hedge, on my way to work yesterday and the conditions, overnight, looked perfect for another viz mig spectacular - and they've delivered in some style!

Fieldfare in the same garden as before

Redwing and Chaffinch taking a well earned breather in our neighbours garden
Chaffinches, once again dominated the early proceedings, with decent numbers of Goldfinch, Brambling and Siskin (where are the Redpolls?) in accompaniment. The thrush movement seemed to kick in around 08.00 hrs, when wave upon wave of Redwings passed high overhead, moving rapidly to the SW. Blackbird, Song Thrush and Fieldfare were also involved, I even managed to record my first Northern Wheatear of the autumn, as I stood in the garden savouring the delights of this latest instalment of "patch gold".
If I ever tire of this type of birding then I might as well be dead - the spectacle of mass migration is one of the greatest shows on earth, and it's free to anyone who chooses to look! Oh yeah - there was another Short-eared Owl to add to the enjoyment of a morning spent awaiting delivery of a set of wardrobes!
 
 

So they're not much kop - I still prefer these type of images over none at all.

3 comments:

  1. Best I can do is 53 House Sparrows in my garden here in Sheppey, emptying feeders as fast as I fill them. Oh for just one finch, mind you I did have a Sheppey rarity on the reserve yesterday, one Song Thrush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derek, I too have very good numbers of House Sparrows around the garden doing, exactly as you describe. They get through 2 kg of mixed corn and 1 kg of sunflower hearts in a week - no problem. I've recently started to feed fat balls - not something the sparrows are overly happy with? As for my recent run of good fortune; I am going to enjoy it while it lasts - days like these are to be savoured, they are a very special treat in the year of a "patch watcher". I'll happily take spectacle over rarity any day of the week! All the best - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Interesting that you also have good numbers of Spuggies, despite what the endangered lists might say. In Kent at least, House Sparrows seem to be thriving, most people I speak to have good numbers on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete