Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 7 September 2014

Garden sightings and other stuff

I've somewhat neglected this blogging lark, of late, my focus being on the trials and tribulations of barbel fishing the Kentish Stour. It is true that "I've waved the white flag" in this particular contest - but I have no desire to stop fishing this magnificent little river; I am just going to aim my sights a little lower. I have plans to post a summary of my thoughts about this project in due course - but as Benno, Luke and Tom are still actively involved in their own personal challenges, I might delay it for a while?

From the kitchen doorway - an early morning Common Whitethroat.
On the fence post cap, closest to the bungalow
Autumn migration is now well underway, I recorded a single Grey Plover, in company of a small bunch of Ringed Plovers, flying over the garden on 26th August. The most likely explanation being a simple overland flight from Broadstairs/Dumpton Gap to Pegwell Bay (high tide roost) - although it is a rather strange coincidence that Steve Tomlinson also recorded Grey Plovers, at Margate Cemetery, on this same date?
Willow Warblers have now been, largely, replaced by Chiffchaffs in the garden buddlieas and today was to see a very noticeable movement of Common Whitethroats through our garden - at least seven individuals noted throughout the morning.
Feeding on the Elder berries that grow in our southern hedge.
There are odd Wheatear sightings from over on the farm and, yesterday saw the first large scale hirundine movement that I've witnessed in 2014. Fishing on the river had produced some rather good records, Greenshank, a small flock of Black-tailed Godwit and, best of all, two Great White Egrets which flew east down the Stour Valley towards Stodmarsh, on Sunday 31st August, just as it was getting dark - the birding being of a much higher standard than the angling! On Friday morning (5th Sept) a Kingfisher perched briefly on one of my rods - a real privilege to share a few moments with such a special bird.
I've got a notebook full of scribbled thoughts and semi-interesting sightings that I recorded during the past week. My coming to terms with the stupidity of my situation, ref - the barbel of The Kentish Stour - has lifted a great (self-imposed) weight from my shoulders and I am looking forward to the new angling adventures that await me.

No comments:

Post a Comment