Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 23 July 2014

The William Harvey experience

I'll start by reporting yet another eel filled session, Tuesday, 20 - 23.00 hrs, on The River Stour; so not what the doctor had ordered! Bev's ill health remains a concern and, as such, I took today off so I could be with her for the latest round of tests. She had an endoscopy, under general anaesthetic, at the William Harvey Hospital, in Ashford - just a mile, or so, up the Kennington Road from the "soup mine"
Her appointment was relayed, via a phone call, on Monday - just as well because the letter of confirmation was only delivered today (as we discovered as we got back home). Be here for 07.30 hrs, we were! My parking ticket showing 07.16 hrs as I entered the "private" hospital parking area - no one is exempt; disabled, OAP's, the terminally ill - oh no! Everyone pays, "In God we trust - everyone else pays cash!"
I am so grateful for my opportunity to waste a day's holiday - Bev finally getting into theatre some 6 1/2 hours after we'd arrive - it was over twelve hours before we made it back home. This has nothing to do with the expertise and professionalism of the doctors and nurses of this superb hospital - it is about organisation. The staff car park was full of quality street motors - so not those of the porters and cleaners, or the junior nurses and medics who were flat out attempting to keep up with a hectic schedule - no these belonged to the smug, suit and tie, brigade who masquerade as administrators. The whole system is over-run with these clowns. If they were as good, at their jobs, as the front line medical staff are at theirs, these hospitals would run better than a Rolex watch!
The good news is that there is nothing of concern the surgeon discovered, during the procedure, and our major fears are unfounded! So with so much time to waste, I should have used the chance to re-read the wondrous "Blood Knots" by Luke Jennings - attempting to pick up a few hints for my forthcoming tome - but not one bit of it! I did manage to grab a couple of 30 minutes sojourns (how I discovered the staff car parking area) and was amazed at the wealth of insect variety that was present on land adjacent to the complex so, I would assume?, awaiting further expansion of this magnificent facility.

This Red-shanked Carder Bee (on Mallow) was discovered along the R. Little Stour valley in July 2011 - my first.
I have also seen this species, since, within the Stodmarsh/|Grove Ferry NNR but, was totally unprepared
to encounter it in the grounds of an Ashford Hospital!
I had no bins or camera, but was happy enough to confirm a brood of Chiffchaff, Small and Essex Skipper, a (rather late?) Marbled White, good numbers of Gatekeeper and Meadow Brown, a few "white sp." and a healthy showing of Common Blues (no pun intended within a hospital complex)
For me, however, the discovery of several Red-shanked Carder Bees took the prize. Only the third site at which I've ever seen these insects - for every action there is a reaction - Yin & Yan? Some call it karma; I'll stick with just being there and keeping my eyes open!

No comments:

Post a Comment