Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 17 July 2014

The challenge is on

The severe flooding of the 2013/14 winter wasn't restricted to a single county; vast sways of the UK were subjected to chaos as the crazy weather deposited huge amounts of rainfall, in very short periods, with the resultant demonstration of inadequate flood prevention measures - fancy it flooding on a "flood plain"? Planners and developers were quick to deny negligence but, as with all things money orientated, it was the ordinary working guy/gal, and their families, who paid for this folly.
I think I moaned about the fact that I couldn't go pike fishing on the RMC and had to, instead, chase some mythical perch around a day-ticket venue. Shit happens!

A new section of the river, so a new swim for me. There is a clean gravel run, about 5ft deep
immediately below my rod-tip. The swim reminds me of the famous "Aquarium Swim"
that Fred Crouch had discovered on the Royalty.
The one obvious difference being that I haven't yet seen a barbel in the vicinity.
The tackle on show is my 11' 6" Tring Tench rod (1 lb 2oz T/C) with a Matt Hayes,
Limited Edition, Centre-pin - 12lbs b.s. Diawa Sensor and an Optonic bite alarm.
I have got plans, for another post, to discuss my thought process for the coming weeks
 - watch this space!
Unbeknown to me, at that time, was the effect that this situation was having on the R. Stour and the small population of barbel which reside within. The section of the river where I had my moments, in 2013, is almost unrecognisable due to the effects of the winter flooding. Gone are many of the snags and fish holding features; washed away by the awesome power of the floodwater.
At 02.00 hrs, this morning, I was back on the river (in a new section) attempting to relocate these fish. I failed, as I have done on my four previous outings. This season looks set to be just as much of a challenge as the last; Benno and I have been joined by Luke and Tom. Surely, between us, we ought to be able to fathom out some of the answers to this latest barbel conundrum?

4 comments:

  1. You've got a book in you Dyl - your own 'Blood Knots'. I'd buy it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve - it's an idea that's on my "bucket list" but so are many other things. The whole world is a seriously screwed up place, at present, my writing a book probably won't help redress this situation as my entire life has been one of crazy excesses and downright lunacy. I'm sure some people would buy it but, would it educate, or encourage? Clockwork Orange springs to mind. - Take care - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Seth, you flatter me! If I ever do get around to putting pen to paper and recalling some of the lunacy which has been part of my "learning curve" then as a self-confessed "un-supervised lunatic" you'd find much which might be familiar. My concern is that, as much as I'd enjoy the experience, the lessons I've learned along this tortuous route might provide the inspiration, rather than the cautionary tale that I mean, for others to mis-behave and abuse their bodies - the result will be casualties. Cuddly died because of alcahol abuse - something of which I am still ashamed, we encouraged this addiction and did nothing to help him when he needed us most.
      Yes, I've been incredibly fortunate, so there is a tale to be told - will I ever be man enough to write about it or will I leave that exercise to my son?
      Always a pleasure knowing that you're reading this drivel - take good care - Dyl

      Delete