Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 21 September 2013

Moffs and sprogs

Mothing in the garden is nothing better than going through the motions, at present, despite some seemingly decent conditions (with exception of the recent night of the full moon!). The normal autumnal species are being ticked off steadily as the month progresses. A Centre-barred Sallow being the latest addition, with a nice Frosted Orange and Copper Underwing adding variety to the regular mix of Setaceous Hebrew Character, assorted "yellow underwings", Feathered Ranunculus, Lunar Underwing and L-album Wainscot. Migrants remain decidedly scarce - not even a Silver Y last night!




If you take a drive around the back lanes of the Ash Levels, between Lower Goldstone and Guston Farm, it will take you past a secluded cottage that rejoices in the name "Sparrow Castle". It was always a good area to find wintering Chiffchaffs, in the adjacent orchards, when I used to call the area my patch. Today, my garden feeding station was to host a large number of House Sparrows, thus bringing to mind the name of that property. I spent quite a while getting images of the activity around the feeders and bird bath, all the while Swallows, House Martins and Meadow Pipits were passing overhead and a dozen, or so, Chiffchaff flicked through the buddlieas en route along the Vine Close  garden hedgerow. I wouldn't be surprised to learn of some big day totals at the well watched coastal sites.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment