Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 21 January 2013

If only they were rare?

A Fieldfare in the garden hedge - the stark lighting
providing a very contrasting image.
The reflected light from the laying snow gives another dimention to the surroundings - today providing a nice demonstration of the power of lighting has over perception, especially of the grey mantle colouration of our local Herring Gulls. I walked across to work, in the dark (well in the weird light of a street light reflected pre-dawn) seeing two foxes as I made my way across the fields towards, The Old Rose Garden and, Pyson's Road.
The berries of the Booker's car park have now become a focal point and 8+ Blackbirds vied with a flock of 20+ Fieldfares and occassional Redwings, in gathering sustainence in these harsh conditions. The traffic of Pyson's Road being enough to cause frequent disturbance and send the feeding flock across the road into the tangled shrubs of The Old Rose Garden. I spent all three of my breaks watching the activity - ever hopeful that a Waxwing would appear; so regretted that I'd not made the effort to take my camera to work (I'd thought about it!) - maybe tomorrow?
I finished my shift at 14.00hrs and made my way back home, three Lapwings flushing from the cauliflower stubble of Burbridge's field - their plumage giving a stunning contrast of black and white in these overcast conditions. Two adult Common Gulls glowed, dark headed and steel grey backs, against the winter sky - how I wish my cameras skills could capture the image. Back home, feeding the Java Sparrows, a Fieldfare was feeding in the hedge and I was able to grab a few shots in these challenging conditions. A Redwing alighted in a neighbour's tree - alas my best efforts are not up to much; these Scandinavian thrushes being absolutely wonderous creatures. If they were rare it would be easy to understand why birders go "twitching" - simply beautiful and always worthy of a prolonged view when the opportunity arises.

A Redwing in a neighbour's tree - if only they were rare! (ISO 1600 - 1/320th sec)

No comments:

Post a Comment