Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Happy New Year

With no ambitious plans for my enjoyment of the natural wonders which cross my path, during 2013, I took a leisurely stroll across Newland's Farm to the "Old Rose Garden" and Booker's car park. There is a huge berry crop in this area, but they seem to be rather unpalatable, as the only birds that seem to show any interest are Blackbirds - even they prefer to pick the fallen fruits rather than pluck them from the trees? There have been odd sightings of Waxwings, although I haven't seen one here for quite a while. There was a large gathering of Pied Wagtails (60+) feeding on the harrowed field, but birds were rather difficult to come by - a Robin feeding on scraps outside our kitchen door being my only photo opportunity.


However, with the sun shining brightly, I felt that there might be some value in searching the various sheltered sun traps, looking for insects. I had my 1.4x teleconverter and my extension tubes, in readiness, should any subjects present themselves. I was pleasantly surprised to find several species of fly on which to hone my camera craft - I'm not sure of any of their identities, Bluebottles, Flesh Fly sp. and Dung Fly sp. being the limit of my knowledge.

The craziest sighting of my outing was that of a Marmarlade Hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus) which I found as I made my way back towards Vine Close. I have had a quick search of the Internet and learnt that this species can be seen in all months of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment