Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 28 August 2023

Convolvulus time

With the first, garden, Convolvulus Hawk-moth, of 2023, turning up on Friday night it always seemed that this individual would be the start of something much bigger. I know that Sandwich Bay Obs have already recorded several examples of this stunning moth, yet also knew that Ian Roberts and his gang hadn't seen any within their Folkestone/Hythe patch. It can be no coincidence that Ian then reported the first Convolvulus on Saturday, followed by a second on Sunday! I didn't have any joy on Saturday night, yet Sunday was action stations all the while I was watching the garden. I netted one and potted a second, which was resting on a fence panel. There were several others spotted coming to feed on the Nicotiana plants on the patio right outside my study doorway, but they avoided capture. It wasn't until I checked the contents of the Robinson MV trap, early this afternoon, that I discovered a third on the egg trays within. 

One, of four, planters containing Nicotiana (Tobacco) plants.
Convolvulus Hawk-moth magnets!

The weather looks pretty settled, well into next week, so I remain hopeful that the total will rise with the passing of time. 


Plenty of other species to keep me entertained, or frustrated, by their presence. This year has certainly provided me with many situations where I'm completely out of my depth, yet the learning opportunities have been just as enjoyable because of this fact. Hopefully, I'll keep looking and learning?

Small Square-spot

The Old Lady


No comments:

Post a Comment