Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 24 June 2022

My words can't do justice

There are many skilled wordsmiths who's written accounts have painted pictures, so vivid, that, whilst reading, I feel able to touch them. In some cases it is purely fictional but those accounts, which really hit the spot, are generally by folk involved with the natural world, of which I'm involved. Chris Yates and Len Head have penned many a word which captivated my imagination, such is their ability to convey far more than information within a sentence. Jim Gibbinson, likewise, can write about a fishing experience with such intensity that I feel as if I'm part of the event. Such talent makes me realise why I should have paid more attention whilst at school!

I've now undertaken three sessions on, the C&DAA stretch of, The Stour and have just seven Bream landed for my efforts. I knew it was going to be a struggle, even more so because Benno wouldn't be around. Have I learned anything? Well, only that I'm not good enough - if that's a lesson. Swim choice, bait presentation and rig mechanics; all of these things are important but, if you can't find the Barbel completely irrelevant. Way back in 2013 our campaign, behind Willow Close, was just as testing so I'll happily continue to use stubborn perseverance over limited ability.

If you don't use a centrepin - you ain't a Barbel angler 

Meanwhile, the garden moth trapping is getting silly. I turned the light off at 05.00 hrs, this morning, so was a bit late! As soon as I'd removed the funnel and bulb I could see that there was a crazy number of Elephant Hawk-moths inside the trap. I placed a cover over the perspex dome and put the trap beside my study doorway before returning to bed for another four hours! When I eventually got around to examining the night's catch I was blown away! Eighteen Elephant Hawk-moths along with three Privet Hawk-moths; bloody insane. 

Not too much to get excited about, after the crazy Hawk-moth count, but I did add The Delicate and an Obscure Wainscot to the 2022 garden list along with a Small Yellow Wave. It would seem that I might be struggling to catch a Barbel but can certainly trap a moth! And there, in that very simple sentence, is a summary of the skill-set I possess? Can't catch a fish which I'm targeting but have no problems with moths whilst I'm asleep and the flowers can excerpt their influence - more power to the watering can!


Although I try to downplay the role of garden moth trapping there can be no denying the pleasure I'm deriving from the current situation. I must also say thank-you, at this point, to a number of fellow bloggers who've. unknowingly, assisted with my camera techniques. The use of extension tubes with my basic 18 - 55 mm Canon lens has allowed me to record a few images which, previously, I couldn't have attempted. Many thanks to all out there in cyber land.

Garden Grass-veneer (Chrysoteuchia culmella)
Common as muck but seen by very few members of the general public!




4 comments:

  1. For me, the credit must go to you for being able to identify the bloody moths, I gave up trying years ago. I have what I consider to be a rather good book on moths yet moths never seem to be laid out in it in the way that they look in the wild. It's not a problem, I don't have a serious interest in moths but I do praise you guys that rattle off their names so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derek,
      As with any aspect of nature study, the more you practise the easier it gets. Well that's the theory. In 2022 the identification of moths is assisted by the publication of the two Field Guides (Moths & Micro Moths of Great Britain & Ireland) and a host of absolutely amazing web sites. I'm certainly no expert but have to admit that, at present, the garden moths are providing a much needed boost to my enjoyment of being outdoors. As always, many thanks for taking the time to comment - all the best - Dylan

      Delete
  2. Hi Dyl, I am very much enjoying your mothing reports (for obvious reasons!) and looking forward to more. I must confess, there are certain aspects of fellow bloggers' output that I have in the past glossed over, and moth stuff was one of them. Not any more! Fascinating to see the potential. More power to your watering can indeed! And moth trap of course! 😄

    Re the Barbel campaign, all the best with it. Hopefully Benno will be back in action soon. I know the positive effect of company in angling 'campaigns' sometimes - my desire to cast a line has dwindled massively since Rob moved to Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gav,
      Ever since you took the piss out of my gate repairing skills, the garden has become a far more important factor in my daily routine. As it is not my job, thus just another hobby?, I'm free to dabble as, and when, I please. That the moth trapping seems to be benefitting from this effort has to be incentive enough to keep it going. The numbers of Elephant Hawk-moths is off the scale, at present, so I foresee a time when the Fuchsias take a right hammering from the caterpillars of the next generation.
      As for the Barbel campaign, whatever will be, will be. Hopefully Benno will be able to join me within a few weeks and, as you rightly say, it's being able to bounce ideas around which is a nice part of the adventure.
      Until such time as the angling and/or birding picks up it would seem that you and I are stuck with very similar blogging material. Really enjoying your content as the genuine excitement of being a new comer to the joy of mothing is so very obvious in your writing. Hoping all is well - Dyl

      Delete