Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 12 October 2021

That'll do nicely

I got down to the RMC, really early this morning because, if the water was still high and heavily coloured, I would have time to revert to "Plan B" before the sun rose. Fortunately, as it turned out, my chosen section was in fine fettle and I was able to get my baits presented well before dawn broke. I had six hours free to me and planned to leapfrog the rods back towards the car park at hourly intervals. By using this technique, I feel more confident of discovering feeding Pike opportunities rather than simply waiting for a feeding spell to occur. Before 08.00 hrs I had experience two occurences on a Dyson rig presentation, neither of which resulted in hooked fish. I suspected Eels to be the culprits?

I went through the leapfrogging manoeuvres several times during the course of the morning. Absolutely nothing happening despite me having covered the best part of quarter of a mile by this point. The 11.00 hrs repositioning was the final throw of the dice. I'd already agreed with Bev that 12.30 hrs was the end of my session. At 11.35 hrs the "back biter" alarm sounded as another Dyson rig presented bait had been taken. Grabbing the landing net I got to the rod. Nothing was happening, no line peeling from the reel or even twitching on the canal surface. I picked up the rod, off the rests, cursing those bloody eels! I gently felt the line, there was something happening. I closed the bale arm, did a couple of turns of the reel handle, before sweeping the rod back over my shoulder. All of a sudden it's game on! The fish made two powerful surges, the clutch screaming in protest, then simply gave up. It was all over within a couple of minutes, max!


It does look rather skinny!

As I drew it into the landing net, I could see that it was a decent Pike. Once on the bank it looked very big indeed. A massive head, yet a rather slim body shape, suggested that it had potential to be much heavier than the 16 lbs 14 oz that the scales registered today. My second double in two days, what's to moan about?



6 comments:

  1. Nice fish and a good start to your pike season. Hope your blog isn’t followed by a certain type of piker ! Incidentally why a dyson rig and not a straightforward pat ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian,
      Cheers for taking time to comment, always welcome. As to what type of "piker" visits my blog I have absolutely no idea. All I will say is that if they are hoping for a free ride, they've come to the wrong place. The East Kent "flatlands" cover hundreds of square miles whilst the RMC is a 29 mile long Pike swim. I deliberately avoid naming areas when writing my blogs. If someone is able to recognise the background, in a photo, they are already aware of the angling potential of that venue?
      My use of a Dyson rig, as opposed to a straight forward paternoster set-up, is purely down to personal preference. I knew Colin Dyson when he was editor of Angler's Mail and was convinced of his methodology after speaking with him. My brother Simon, and I, used this rig for Catfish in Tiddenfoot, during the mid-80's, with outstanding results. I feel it's a confidence thing, so am much more happy when I employ this particular suspended bait set-up than any other version. Personal preference and that's about it! All the best - Dylan

      Delete
  2. Thanks for response Dylan, I live in Peterborough but fancied a close up look at the RMC so walked it all over 3 days back in May 2015 must admit despite being so close to heavily built up areas many stretches showed little or no sign of being fished and I only meet up with odd dog walkers the whole time. Re Dyson rig thanks for clarification 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian,
      Sod all that walking! I use Google Maps to locate likely looking sections of this magnificent waterway, only then do I bother taking a drive down to see what might be available. Good luck and tight lines with your own angling - Dylan

      Delete
  3. Good work. I can't remember the last time I "struck" a pike. I sort of keep winding till it pulls back hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB, I'm very much of a similar technique generally. On this occasion I was convinced than an Eel was responsible, hence the over zealous sweep of the rod. The Dyson rig allows me to present a bait a little bit away from the "average" Pike angler's efforts, thus I see it as just another edge in my favour. Cheers for the comment, stay lucky & tight lines - Dylan

      Delete