Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 11 August 2020

August cross roads

 Just three more working days before I learn my fate, as decided by the hierarchy within Fuji SIS. I think that I'm in an extraordinarily good position as it won't make much difference to the way life will go on, in Bev and my little world, whatever the outcome. I'm quite philosophical about the whole spectrum of this enforced situation. There is no question about my enjoyment of being part of the factory floor environment and it will be that, more than anything else, which I will miss should retirement be the result of the process. On the other hand, unlike so many others, my head has not allowed me to plan for the un-employed scenario. I work because I want to, not have to, and as such could walk away without blinking an eye-lid should the day dawn when I decide I've had enough. But I haven't, so the outcome of the company's restructuring program will be a big part of how my journey proceeds. 

I'm sort of hoping that my services are no longer required, yet haven't allowed myself to explore the freedom it entails because I won't wish my life away. I'm quite sad, I suppose, in that I can't make plans based on assumption preferring, instead, to wait for facts before deciding on my next course of action. It's so easy to build up hope only to have the rug pulled from beneath your feet!

As I wrote about, in the last post, my eel fishing effort is drawing to an close as the "split cane thirty" project begins to reassert itself in my angling priorities. The Covid-19 fall-out has ensured that any plans, Benno and I harboured about the tidal Stour, came to zero because of factors way beyond our control. The desire hasn't been lost, rather put into the pending tray for future reference, we will pick up the baton again when the situation allows. So, on Sunday afternoon, in sweltering conditions I started to assemble the kit in readiness for my first split cane carp session of 2020.

I'd walked across to visit Cathy Newbury at her pet shop, Maxim's, over in Newington, where I purchased all the ingredients for my party mix - she still can't get hold of "Spikes" semi-moist hedgehog food? The first batch had been soaking in the slow cooker for nearly 18 hours before cooking; the dial set to low, it takes the best part of eight hours before this concoction is ready; awaiting the secret ingredients which mark it down as mine when introduced into the syndicate pools (any fishery). My rig mechanics and terminal gear have to be much the same as every other angler, at the syndicate, will be using. My only edge will be the fact that I'm well able to look outside the box and decide on a course of action which won't mimic those of the "carp angling influencers/salesmen" on Youtube. "Effort equals success" a quote which I have no problem aligning myself with. I also recognise that by doing the same as everyone else I will achieve nothing more than anyone else! It is a mantra to which I base my angling approach. My recent eel sessions have been serenaded by the "plip plop" of catapulted boilies being introduced into the water, in huge amounts, by fellow members who aspire to catch carp. 

If I succeed, then it must be on my terms, governed by the very simple desire to do it my way.  Even if I do find myself surplus to the needs of Fuji SIS, unlimited time will not become a weapon in my armoury. Having been there when the late/great Alan Wilson first demonstrated the benefits of time banditry I remain convinced by the riposte offered by Jim Gibbinson. "No substitute for time?" was the statement emblazened across the angling media, "Yes there is - it's called ability" was Jim's reply and his results certainly backed up his commitment to this belief. I've been happy to follow his alternative strategy throughout my angling adventure. Obviously I still enjoy the "camping" involved with our trips to Loch Awe as I  would should France, Spain or anywhere else take my fancy. But this style of bait and wait, social, angling will remain the exception which proves the rule. With free time limited I work so much harder in order to achieve my goals and it is this focus which ensures success is always a pleasant experience. I feel it's been earned, not fluked because time is used as a disguise for inability.

So that's it for my latest rambling offering. Steve Gale, Gavin Haig, Jono L and Seth G have all been blogging about stuff which is close to my heart, although not from a perspective which I view the world. Just great to read the thoughts of other, like-minded, souls during this period of uncertainty.

BWKm0 - No 67 - Green Sandpiper at 09.20 hrs on Saturday, crazy!

2 comments:

  1. Dyl, I'm pretty well the same with planning around unknowns. Easier when a structure to one's time is involved. And when lack of time is a factor, there's the added bonus of concentrating the mind to the task in hand.

    On fishing. Time-wise, Friday night to Sunday morning was just about my limit. Come to think of it, I've only done one full day in about twenty five years (Lower Itchen Fishery).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ric,
    Sessions these days generally last less than five hours! Obviously our holiday jaunts to Loch Awe are completely off the scale, but we treat them as a social, not full-on fishing. Redundancy won't see me turn into Alan Wilson; I'll just be able to get more short sessions in once I've got a target to focus on!
    Take care - Dyl

    ReplyDelete