Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 5 April 2020

BWKm0 - A garden first!

With my garden lying centrally in my "local patch" it seems crazy that there are some 80+ species which I've recorded around the adjacent farmland, yet never from the garden. Today was to see me snatch back one such species when I managed to scope, then photograph, a Corn Bunting perched atop an Elder some 100 m  to the north. Nowhere close to being annual, it is a species which I encounter from time to time whilst wandering the field margins of Newlands Farm.


42 - Corn Bunting - the photo won't win any prizes, yet does enough to record the encounter.

I didn't get outside until 06.40 hrs, today, and was to experience some superb weather, if not raptor movement! It was another good to be alive day, with temperatures peaking around 18C. Plenty to point the camera at, again with varying degrees of success. With no other options available, given our current situation, I spent the entire day outside watching the avian activity, ever hopeful of a White-tailed Eagle - bloody fool!



I did record my first Swallow of the year when one appeared briefly over the bungalows on the opposite side of the road.
43 - Swallow

Redwing in the same tree that I photographed the jay and linnet yesterday - probably 45 m away from my position?

However, the most exciting news from our garden is that of a Hedgehog coming to feed on the "Spike's Dinner" that we've been offering on the patio. I've got the cameras ready tonight, so might be able to up-date later or, more likely, use the images in tomorrow's post?

No comments:

Post a Comment