Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 31 July 2019

Back door birding

Like it, or not, Autumn is upon us - birds are, once again, on the move and I've re-established the garden feeding station as we await the final parts of the refurb to come to fruition. On Monday a Green Sandpiper called several times as it passed overhead whilst I was attending to the aviary and, today, I recorded my first Willow Warbler, of 2019, when I espied a "yellow" juvvy (no pics!) flitting about in the vegetation. Crazy - I've seen as many Hoopoe and Bee-eaters in Kent this year!


The feeding station is now even closer to my vantage point, since the construction of my "man cave". I've tried to make the most of it by keeping the camera kit at hand, although it seems the birds are quite wary of the open door; thus I'm getting the majority of my images through the double glazed windows. There's an awful lot of work to be done before we can say that the job's been completed, but things are slowly falling into place, bit by bit. The birds might be common fare, but are no less enjoyable when sat at home awaiting the start of another shift!






The most heartening aspect of this simple pastime is to notice the high numbers of young birds coming to the feeding station. It would seem that, locally at least, 2019 has been a good year for many of our garden birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment