Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 18 November 2018

Sunshine pike fishing

Van loaded and on my way before 05.00 hrs, headed back to the drain for another session after pike. The weather has definitely turned colder and this is just the start if the forecasters are to be believed. It was a chilly dawn, with a brisk easterly blowing straight off the sea, but the sun rose in a cloudless sky and it was bearable, with the right choice of clothing. I was wrapped in plenty of layers and, hands apart, stayed warm for the entire time I was outside.
All three rods were fishing by 06.15 hrs, but it wasn't until well after sunrise that the first bite was registered. A very spirited tussle resulted in a nice, clean pike gracing the landing net, weighing in at 12 lbs 2 oz. A very pleasing way to start. I placed her in an ET Pike Tube, so I would be able to get my photos later, when the light had picked up. At 08.00 hrs an eel took a liking to my sardine and, while I was sorting out the mess, my mackerel rod was away. Jack attack, a fish of around 4 lbs quickly dealt with and I was just returning it when the herring rod registered a bite. A little better, this one, at around 7 lbs. I had to go through the ritual of recasting all three rods, two with new baits, then settled down to await further action.

Always better when the sun's shining. Another beautiful, wild, pike from the East Kent flatland drains.
With the sun shining brightly and the clock ticking steadily towards 09.00 hrs, I started to go through the motions in preparation for a few self-takes when, out of nowhere, came my mate Neil, the birdwatcher. Blinding good fortune, he seems to make a habit of turning up when I need a photo and he didn't let me down - top bloke. He stayed around for quite a while, chatting about this and that. The White-billed Diver got a good airing, as did the recent multiple Pallid Swift sightings and then, just as he was bidding farewell, the herring rod was away again and he hung on to watch me land my fourth pike of the morning, all 9 lbs 8 oz of her. Job done, he wandered off into yonder whilst I started a slow pack down. Well pleased with my morning's effort, I walked back to the van with thoughts of big perch niggling in the background. I really must get back on track and concentrate on the original project, if I can? Some information received, whilst on a club work party, yesterday morning has got me looking at new venues, but still with a big perch as the target. With a week of lates looming, there's a chance I might get a morning session in to do a bit of prep work.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds a good morning.I caught enough signal crays to have been able to set up a pop-up "sea" food stall.Something to show the dog walkers though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No crays here, yet! The only place I've ever seen signals is in the Grand Union Canal in Hertfordshire. Down here Beavers remain a menace because of damage to bank side trees and their lodge excavations, however, recent sightings of otters along the lower Stour is bound to cause some anxiety amongst the mud-pig chasers of the local club/commercial and syndicate venues! The only dog owners on the marshes are "travellers" coursing hares - it's a desolate place and, my birdwatcher mate apart, very few people venture out there.

      Delete
  2. I was reading the obituary yesterday in my Telegraph of John Wilson, the angler. Talking to an angler friend about him, I rather got the impression that he wasn't too well liked by some anglers - how about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derek,
      I had the great fortune to bump into John Wilson long before he became a tv personality. A great chub angler, always happy to share advice with those that sought his input. I'd think that those who don't like him are passing judgement on the caricature he became due to the success of "Go Fishing" Happily my own recollections are of a decent guy and a very talented angler - Dyl

      Delete
    2. You're probably right Dyl., success always breeds resentment. Great that you met the early version.

      Delete