Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 21 October 2018

Blanking in some style

Yet another fish-less session out on the flatlands; you've got to admire my consistency. I've managed to carry this inability, to catch my target, over from the carp project, now I can't catch perch. Out at 05.15 hrs, fishing before 06.30 and bumping my only chance just fifteen minutes later. Two beavers this morning one, flushed from the bank, entering the water with all the grace of a paving slab and the other swimming along the dyke, from the opposite direction, some twenty minutes later.


Dawn was superb, the sun rise illuminating the horizon with a brilliant display of colour as the rays reflected off the wispy layer of clouds out over the sea, almost like sky was ablaze. I rattled off a series of photos, wanting some for the blog. I've rather neglected scenery shots, although I deliberately avoid advertising where I'm fishing, there are ample opportunities to capture the essence of these remote marshland spots without including landmark features. I must make more effort in recording this aspect of my time spent in this wondrous part of our countryside.


As they light intensified, so the wild world awoke to start another daily cycle of survival. A Barn Owl floated along a distant ditch, a fox barked somewhere out in the gloom, answered by another much closer, although it remained unseen from my position on the bank. Little Owls were extremely vocal, calling from several sites along and around the drain. A Ring Ouzel "chack- chacked" as it left it's overnight roost in an adjacent hawthorn hedgerow and I glimpsed a male Sparrowhawk, alerted by the angry reaction of a group of Carrion Crows who were giving it a hard time. Before I packed up, a Common Buzzard drifted over and there were small groups of Chaffinches, Meadow Pipits and Skylarks flitting about. It is hard to find anything negative about such quality encounters, even if angling is my main reason for being outdoors.
It is because of my experiences, as I attempt to fit together the pieces of this latest puzzle, that my successes are so much more rewarding when they eventually happen. You must have known failure to get the most from those occasions when it all comes right. The only pressures are self inflicted and have no significance in the present situation. Quite simply it's not possible to blank when there is so much going on around me - no surprise that I can't concentrate on a float, just think what else I'd miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment