Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 3 March 2018

A very good day

We needed to be at Hegdale Commercials for 09.00 hrs, so I could pick up the van and not be driving around in the Mazda 5, un-insured, such is the clinical precision of insurance policies. I had the birds to feed and motor to clear before we were on our way. I was up before 07.00 hrs, coffee supped, chores done, by 07.50 hrs. All we had to do was drive twenty-odd miles, without incident, and the van insurance would kick in at the stroke of 09.00 hrs. Bugger! Looking out the kitchen door, a Goldcrest was on the fat-ball feeder, a garden first. I grabbed the camera and pointed in the direction of the bird - settings as they came! (photo is more to do with computers than any skills I have)


We made the journey on time and complete the transaction with the insurance mechanics being seamless. I was able to tax the vehicle and drive away in the knowledge that I was legally on the road - job's a good'n! Breakfast in The Norman Wisdom, in Deal, well I needed to have a drive! Home for mid-day, I wanted to have a look to see what the prospects for pike fishing were for Sunday. Fortunately Luke had already been down to the RMC and rang me with a very up-beat summary of the conditions - so we're out fishing tomorrow! I still wanted to have a drive; so Seaton GP's were my destination, there being a few year ticks to be found, weather permitting? A brilliant couple of hours resulted in six additions to the list - well happy. Conditions for photography were less than perfect, dull, dank and murky at best, but a drake Goosander provided a test and I'm happy enough with the result under the circumstances.


I was almost back to the van when I spotted a male Kestrel, perched on the roadside wires. ISO 800 and 1/500th sec managed to secure a useable image? Back home for the second half of Spurs v's Huddersfield - job done! Fishing in the morning - life doesn't get much better than this?


2 comments:

  1. Been watching (mostly) blackbirds in my garden. Firstly, juat how many blackbirds can you get in a garden? Secondly, why does their territoriality overide feeding in these conditions?

    I also discoverd just how many birds like apples.

    Fishing tomorrow before the massive snow drifts fill the rivers. I expect the salt is in them already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB,
      We had six Blackbirds frequenting our feeding station during the coldest period of this crazy week. From what I've seen the territorial behaviour is on hold whilst survival is paramount. Wasted energy, in these conditions, is likely to be detrimental to all birds involved.
      Apples are high in sugar content, thus a good source of energy - the orchard windfalls, around the East Kent marshes are heaving with winter thrushes, Fieldfares dominating, but also many Blackbirds and Song Thrushes. No idea where all the Redwings are?
      Piking, this morning, was a complete waste of time - snow melt water obviously having an effect. It will be temperature, as opposed to salt washed off of the roads, which is the major factor in any Royal Military Canal situation. Let's hope you fare better than I did - Dyl

      Delete