Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 16 January 2016

A beautiful day

I had a fantastic morning out on "The Levels" catching a small jack for my troubles but, it was about so much more than fishing today. Despite a steady W-NW breeze, there were three Barn Owls hunting around the marsh and a couple of Marsh Harriers put on a good show; a precursor to setting up territory perhaps? For the first time the water felt cold, handling my dead baits made me realise just how much conditions have changed since last Sunday.
I managed to add two more birds to my annual tally - Stock Dove and Raven made their presence known by flying into my binocular view, the Raven calling loudly as it passed by. Water Rails squealed, Little Grebes "whinnied" and Lapwing cavorted in the skies; I can think of many less desirable ways of spending a Saturday morning. The intense cold didn't spoil the glorious sunshine which is such a welcome change from the dreariness of late. There were a lot of Song Thrushes around the area which is a very welcome sign, plus small groups of Chaffinches were flitting around in the field margins. A few Reed Buntings were feeding in the reeds adjacent to my swim and one deigned to pose long enough for a photo!


Away just after 10.30 hrs - I had to nip in to check up on my Dad, then back home so that Bev could get out with her friends. No great shakes - but it sure beats going to work!

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous day it was Dyl, especially getting out early in the morning, watching the sun rise, the frost lift and the birds beginning to practise their dawn chorus. Then back home and leaving the place to those that think that dawn begins at 10.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Derek, it was a glorious morning to be out and about. Although my efforts with the rods were of limited success, just being outside to enjoy the birds and the ambience was just the ticket! I would have loved to stayed longer but there are many other things going on in my little world that mean't I had to get back home. One of the beauties of being out on "The Levels" is that I very rarely see anyone - those that I do meet are a local birdwatcher or guys from the local farming community and, as such, very much in tune with my own outlook towards this fantastic habitat. Hoping you are well - Dyl

      Delete