Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 10 August 2015

Worth waiting for

The 125w MV has seen a bit of action over the weekend, a total of four Tree-lichen Beauties have been taken (they're all in the fridge - or were!) so no re-captures. I've been whinging on about not getting a Bordered Straw! Well, I still haven't, but I have managed a Scarce Bordered Straw to ease the pain. I've taken quite a few of these insects, during the last twenty one years, but never have I been more surprised than I was this morning, when I discovered it on the outside of the Perspex dome. A Small Mottled Willow, three Diamond-backs and a lone Silver Y made a meagre supporting, migrant-type, cast, but I did manage to get another nice addition to the garden year list, in the shape of a Lunar-spotted Pinion - only my third or fourth garden record.

Scarce Bordered Straw - not before time?
One of those species that you know what it is, but can't quite nail it without diving into Skinner.
There are loads of micros which I have photographed, their identity being a project for the long, dark, winter nights.
Looking along the back garden hedgerow, to St. Luke's College (Hogwart's) beyond!
The maize crop stands over 2m high and backs right up to our garden boundary - the hedge on the left.
I have no idea of how long this crop will remain, before harvesting, but it certainly looks good as a holding area for
passerine migrants, as the autumn movements get under way.
Fishing has been a bit of a struggle, of late, and I'm seriously thinking of spending time back down on the river, just by way of a change. Birding has been pants, although that Garden Warbler hung around for a couple of days and there have been a few Swallows hawking insects around the farm buildings, but that is it. The maize field cries out as a magnet for avian waifs and strays - my garden feeding station and water availability should ensure I get a few extra visitors? We are fast approaching the most exciting period of the year - doesn't matter whether birds, moths or fish are the primary focus?

Looking over the garden fence, via Magda & Lucas's garden. The maize crop
dominates the sky line - there is a flint barn, horse paddocks and huge, mature, trees
 over there somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment