Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 21 November 2014

Happy Daze!

This nostalgia fest continues, unabated - images, which I had long forgotten, transporting me back to some mad times. I've received a couple of very pleasant comments from David Ralph (I don't believe we've ever met?) ref my "Wilstone Finale" post - it would seem that I am not unique in my enjoyment of that era!

October 1985 - My PB Zander
It wasn't just the fishing - the music was outrageously good and I was part of a very special group of mates. Chalk and cheese for the most part, our common denominator being "specimen hunting" - fishing for big fish! It will never be possible to recreate those times, or even attempt to come close - so much has changed! I have to be grateful that I was party to a very exclusive journey - there were a few casualties along the way (literally!) - Cuddles, Vic Gillings, John Foster just the tip of the iceberg. (Departed this world, but each for very different reasons)

Phil Mitch - a big bloke with a big zed!
We caught some good fish, listened to some quality music and drank Stella when it was 5.2% ABV and called it "weaning water" - Tennant's Super was proper "lunatic soup" (no change there then!) and my peers were well capable of doing a case per day - no wonder I recall them as "Happy Daze"?

Ron Thomas returning a 23lbs+ pike to Grebe Lake at Emberton
I certainly wouldn't recommend that this route is a template worthy of copy - I'm still here despite, not because of, my adventures. A lot of good men have fallen by the wayside, lost interest in the hobby or simply been unable to continue due to other commitments - life does that to people!
The photos I've used are purely for effect - I have guys in the FSIS IT dept. trying to sort out my ex-hard-drives and get my Adobe photoshop back! Hopefully; normal service will resume shortly?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dylan - I am enjoying the blog .Keep up the nostalgia. We did not meet I joined Tring in 1992 just as you were finishing on there I would imagine. I did consider going back a short while back but I am fishing pastures new these days.As It would not have been the same. Regards David Ralph

    ReplyDelete