Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 25 April 2014

Simple pleasure

There are a couple of old earthenware pots which have been placed on the roof of our garden storage shed. They've seen no attention and the wild flowers that grow inside them are a total accident; there is certainly no planning involved. The roof is gently sloping, thus any plants angle themselves accordingly. A couple of days ago I noticed a Goldfinch feeding on the seed heads of a dandelion-type plant - my camera was in another room and the bird had flown before I could get it.


This morning, however, luck was on my side as the bird (or another?) returned and I had my camera to hand, with the 170 - 500 mm lens already fitted. Light wasn't brilliant, but I was able to open the kitchen door and grab a series of images as the Goldfinch fed. It is a stunning little bird and, I feel, we'd pay the species a lot more attention if it were rare. But then again, I'm sure that is true of many of our native birds - "familiarity breeds contempt"; and of that I am certainly guilty!


I've just finished playing around with my photo-shop editing program and can't believe how intricate the plumage detail is. If I were given a black and white outline to, colour in, I'm not too sure I'd get it right?


No comments:

Post a Comment