Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 20 January 2014

Let's get this stuff a reality check!

I couldn't catch cold, or so it would seem? I can't remember the last time I hooked a decent fish. The ridiculous fall, out as a consequence of my opinions of the "Ramsgate Warbler" and school teachers, has caused more than a little soul searching. So what does it all mean? JACK SHIT!!! -THAT'S ALL.
I learnt, this morning, that a guy, with whom I work, recently married and father of twin girls, has been diagnosed with testicular cancer - proper important stuff. Thankfully, the diagnosis has been made early and, the prospects of a full recovery are extremely good - here's praying.
I cannot pretend that Catfishing didn't dominate my waking hours.
There is a massive learning curve from the 1980's to my life today
I can't claim to be anything other than a passionate observer - but I am a realist (I think!)
That I have the audacity to think differently to the masses - who'd have imagined a 58 year-old tosser could be so out of step? It seems that the general consensus is that the "bird" (cos that's all it is) in Ramsgate Cemetery is a Hume's - whoopee doo! Dylan's "fucked up again" Who cares? The fact that I am not a member of any Ornithological Society/Bird Club should be enough - yet no! My opinions still have the power to attract 3,000+ members of Birdforum to log on to this blog - to see what? That an individual doesn't go with the flow? BIG NEWS - NOT! I sit on no rarity committees, and have no power of decision/influence.
A nomadic bee sp. - in our garden
Possibly the first record for Thanet? Who knows, or cares?
Is it important - no, I don't think so either.
I couldn't id this "Nomada sp." when it turned up in my garden - strange how it didn't cause the interest that the "Ramsgate Warbler" manifested. Could it be (no pun intended) that the birding community give this particular group the same relevance as the rest of humanity bestows upon birding. No one gives a monkeys - it's a bee/fly/wasp - where's the spray?
Birding, angling, pan-listing, cycling, jogging, rambling; I could keep going - yes, of course they provide massive enjoyment to those of us who are involved - but are they important?? I have my doubts when viewed from the bigger picture - I'm not saying that we shouldn't get involved; just that there might be a need for a reality slap every now and again. Testicular cancer is enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. As you are only too aware Dyl, 95% of birders wouldn't know a Hume's anyway. However, that same 95% will have an opinion on those that 'have an opinion'. And even better if that opinion might be considered questionable. it makes them feel superior. That makes you the superior one in my book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      Different I might be - superior? Never have been, never will be; just a very ordinary bloke who has a brain that works independently to the masses, whoever they are. As always, many thanks for taking the trouble to pass comment - Dyl

      Delete